Have you ever wanted to sell everything you own and just "take off?" Travel the country's back roads, paddle down a meandering stream, experience breath-taking mountain views, walk among 100-year old trees, and just marvel at America's beauty? That is the dream that my partner, Betsy, and I decided to make a reality. This blog describes our adventure. The food we eat, people we meet, sights we see, and the enjoyment we find in traveling.

Saturday, September 17, 2011

CHIVE & BASIL

A few months back, I decided to grow an herb garden. This is nothing new for me except that now I am in a house that travels – which means the garden has to go too. I built a planter box, painted it, and planted chive, basil, rosemary, and thyme. The box was toted along in the car as we travel and placed lovingly in our “yard” when we arrived at a new campground. I watered, weeded, and flicked off the Japanese beetles when needed.


Proud gardener (I didn't want to have
to weed a lot).
What I had not planned on was that my garden would be decimated by domestic rabbits that run free in our last campground. For two days, the garden and the rabbits lived in harmony. I worked hard to have a trusting relationship with the rabbits – I would feed them oyster crackers and wheat Chex cereal and they would not eat my garden. So I was surprised when they took to refining their palates after two days. The two culprits soon became known as Chive and Basil. Even after eating the herb garden I forgave their furry little twitching noses and continued feeding them snacks. Oh, by the way, domestic rabbits do not like fresh rosemary so feel free to leave that outside.
Chive.
Chive seemed quite comfortable in the box.  Since she ate all the plants (except for the rosemary)
she just decided to lay on top of them.
Basil (the black one) would often come hopping over when he heard our door open.....pig!
I said goodbye to Chive with more oyster crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you, so please drop us a comment