Have you ever wanted to sell everything you own and just "take off?" Travel the country's back roads, paddle down a meandering stream, experience breath-taking mountain views, walk among 100-year old trees, and just marvel at America's beauty? That is the dream that my partner, Betsy, and I decided to make a reality. This blog describes our adventure. The food we eat, people we meet, sights we see, and the enjoyment we find in traveling.

Sunday, December 30, 2012

How do you like my Tots?

My plate, before I indulged
Tater tots, that is!  If you have been following our blog for a while then you may remember when we were on a serious quest for eating the best hamburgers as outlined in the book Hamburger America.  Much to our dismay, the book did not list any eateries in Arizona so we decided to take matters into our own hands and go find one.  My search on Urbanspoon, Trip Advisor, and Food Spotter apps directed me to a Tucson joint that seemed sure to curb our never ending desire for greasy ground bovine.  So off we went to the hip university district hangout called “Lindy’s on 4th”.

We knew we came to the right place when once we stepped inside and caught a waft of the sizzling meat.   This funky dive with loud punk music thinks hamburgers are an art form and goes to all lengths to create some culinary masterpieces like using raspberry preserves, pineapple, ginger wasabi aioli, and two grilled cheese sandwiches for buns.  Ouch, cardiac arrest is now upon us.

I opted for a cheeseburger with lettuce and tomato so I could get the real taste of the meat.  Betsy went the fried onion ring route.  Noticing that tater tots were on the menu forced my taste buds and salivary glands into overdrive and I promptly ordered a side of the loaded tater tots that were smothered with cheese, sour cream, bacon bits, and chives.  Oh, what have I done?

Betsy opted to remove a couple of the onion rings before putting this in her mouth.
For some reason, I think this blog post is going to spur an email from my health-conscious mother reminding me that you can have a heart attack at age 42 and tater tots do not count as a vegetable on the food pyramid.

Lindy's was a funky joint that really satisfied our burger craving.  I think Hamburger America may need to be amended to include this restaurant.

Note the ketchup bottle slashing the mustard bottle in the picture.  
Burger is "God" at Lindy's on 4th.
My plate, after I indulged.

2 comments:

  1. You only live once, so why not have a burger like that and shorten the trip? ;c)

    It's not like you'd eat one like that every day, right???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your philosophy on eating! How about once a week? O.k., we'll make it once a month.

      Delete

We love hearing from you, so please drop us a comment