Have you ever wanted to sell everything you own and just "take off?" Travel the country's back roads, paddle down a meandering stream, experience breath-taking mountain views, walk among 100-year old trees, and just marvel at America's beauty? That is the dream that my partner, Betsy, and I decided to make a reality. This blog describes our adventure. The food we eat, people we meet, sights we see, and the enjoyment we find in traveling.

Monday, November 18, 2013

Pumpkin for the Pumpkin(s)

Today was rainy – a sharp contrast to the last few gloriously sunny days.  Rain always makes me want to bake and this day was no different.  There was; however, a nagging forlorn look that kept gazing at me, begging to go outside, begging for a walk in the woods, or a quick swim in the lake.  But it was raining and I wanted to bake.  While a lab is in ecstasy in steady rain and loves bounding through puddles more than if she had stumbled into a basket of new squeaky toys, no sad pathetic face was going to distract me from baking.

So I decided to appease the pathetic furry onlooker by baking something for her.  And I set out to make homemade pumpkin dog treats.  I sensed she knew the smell wafting through the air was soon to land her way and every time I looked at her, I got a wide-eyed “thank you” look back.  I had one happy pup when the pumpkin puffs of good dog biscuits came out of the oven.  She and I shared a few together and then I had a friend back.

But, all the sudden I got another forlorn look.  This time from Betsy who asked where her pumpkin treat was?  “Your mom makes pumpkin pie for me” came directed to my attention.  Was she kidding me?  I just made two cookie sheets worth of dog food that puts the cardboard texture of Milkbones to shame.  The taste of chalk was replaced with cane syrup and pumpkin; Betsy should be thanking me for transforming her dog into a bundle of contentment.

Yet, I baked again.  This time it was a simple pumpkin pie just the right size for one (or two if someone feels so inclined to share).

The girls are now happy and I was able to satisfy my need to bake in the rain.  Good thing, because sun is in the forecast for tomorrow.

For those of you who want to see a smile on your dog’s face (I guess that is what I saw) here is the recipe from Cesar's Way for the dog treats.  Or, you can always buy Milkbones.
 

Ingredients


  • ¼ cup canned pumpkin
  • 2 tablespoons cane syrup (or molasses)
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 cup wheat flour (I used all-purpose white flour instead)
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
  • "more pumpkin treats, please"
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon


Directions


  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. 
  2. Mix pumpkin, cane syrup, water and vegetable oil in a bowl.  Add flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon to the mixture.  Stir well until combined.
  3. Scoop out small spoonfuls of dough (about one tablespoon) and roll into a bowl with wet hands (see note below).  Set balls on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and flatten tops with a wet fork or finger.  For softer treats, bake approximately 10 minutes, for harder treats bake for approximately 25 minutes.


Note:  I put the dough mixture in a zip-lock bag, cut a small hole in one end and piped it onto the cookie sheet and flattened with a fork.



3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe. As much as it is raining around here, I should be able to make some soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But who would want Milkbones when someone loves to bake treats for them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love to cook when the weather is not so great...it seems our travels are too good at following pleasant weather though! In our 15 months on the road we've had very few poor weather days! I tell Hans that I actually want to experience more weather, that was one of the perks of leaving sunny San Diego!

    Metamorphosis Lisa

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you, so please drop us a comment