Have you ever wanted to sell everything you own and just "take off?" Travel the country's back roads, paddle down a meandering stream, experience breath-taking mountain views, walk among 100-year old trees, and just marvel at America's beauty? That is the dream that my partner, Betsy, and I decided to make a reality. This blog describes our adventure. The food we eat, people we meet, sights we see, and the enjoyment we find in traveling.

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Vanilla Rum Custard

I found this recipe on Saveur website and knew it was one I needed to try.  It sounded delicious, looked easy, and felt like a perfect light dessert (if there is such a thing).  And when I say easy, I mean it!  No tricky mixing or folding of temperamental ingredients, no crazy hard-to-find ingredients, no obscure cooking utensils required, and no wacky instructions that require a culinary dictionary to figure out.  And here is an added bonus . . . this dessert can be made ahead.  You can make the batter the day before you plan on serving it and keep it in a jar overnight in the refrigerator OR you can go ahead and bake the custard and keep that in the fridge overnight.  Easy, peasy.


Best of all, this recipe has only seven ingredients, two of which I love – rum and vanilla.  The seeds from the vanilla beans add a nice contrast in color and lets your guests know that vanilla is in the dish.  As for the rum, they will discover that when the spoon hits their mouth.  For added vanilla flavor I adjusted the recipe to include vanilla extract.  If you want to omit the vanilla bean, you could simply double the amount of vanilla extract. 

Since I live in an RV, I have considerably less baking dishes than when I was surrounded by bricks and mortar.  You full-time RV’ers know what I am talking about.  I dug deep into the RV baking dish arsenal (which did not take long) and found two, two-cup ramekins that worked perfectly.  (The recipe makes enough to fill a 3-quart dish).  The two ramekins were enough to feed four of us one night which meant I had enough batter to keep overnight and bake the next day. 

Enjoy.

Serves 8-10

INGREDIENTS
  • ¾ cup sugar
  • ½ tsp. kosher salt
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
  • 4 cups heavy cream
  • 5 Tbsp. light rum


INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 300°F.
  2. In a bowl, whisk together sugar, salt, eggs, vanilla extract and vanilla seeds.  Whisk in cream and rum.
  3. Transfer mixture to a 3-qt. baking dish (or whatever size dish you are using) and set inside a roasting pan.  Pour boiling water into pan so that the water comes halfway up the sides of the custard dish.
  4. Bake until slightly loose and wobbly in the center, approximately 40–50 minutes.
  5. Remove dish from pan and chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.  Take the custard out of the refrigerator 10-15 minutes before serving.  Garnish with fresh fruit and serve.


4 comments:

  1. Yum! That sounds so good! Having no oven in my little trailer, I've been toying with the idea of making a solar oven - this recipe may push me action!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be awesome. There are a lot of inexpensive portable electric ones that I have seen RV'ers use. Quite handy.

      Delete
  2. Looks mighty good. May need to try this. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you, so please drop us a comment